The Oregon League of Conservation Voters (OLCV) is the political voice of Oregon's environmental community. OLCV is a non-partisan, non-profit organization that -- along with its sister organizations the OLCV Education Fund and the OLCV PAC-- passes laws to protect our natural legacy, elects pro-environment candidates, and holds our elected officials accountable. OLCV is committed to creating a culture of justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion in our organization and outward.
Job Posting January 12, 2018
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join our staff as our Engagement Organizer. The position will be based out of OLCV’s Portland office, with required travel to different regions of the state. Potential candidates must have transportation & ability to travel.
The engagement organizer is responsible for recruiting, engaging, mobilizing, and tracking OLCV supporters, members, and volunteers to build political power for the environment in key regions of Oregon. The job focuses on increasing the number of individuals participating in OLCV and engaging those individuals in higher levels of participation throughout the year. The engagement organizer will build and train a team of activists to volunteer and take political action on behalf of OLCV’s political priorities. The work includes recruiting new members and activists, coordinating local events and forums to engage new members and activists, volunteer recruitment and mobilization for OLCV campaigns and priorities. Most of this work will take place on the phone, and in the field.
Other responsibilities and projects of this position may include:
- Assisting OLCV Political Director in planning and other assigned tasks
- Assisting and recruiting OLCV members to communicate effectively with their legislators on our priorities
- Executing campaign plans and coordinating activities with candidate campaigns and groups during elections and issue campaigns
- Coordinating and assisting other OLCV staff in tasks as needed and assigned
- Representing OLCV and maintaining a local presence in key regions of state
General Skills Desired
- Experience recruiting, training, and managing volunteers
- Experience on an election, lobbying campaign, or public education campaign
- A demonstrated interest in environmental issues
- Excellent one-on-one communication skills and a passion for interacting with people
- Strong computer skills, including experience with spreadsheets, databases, and VAN
- Familiarity with engagement and distributed organizing
- Familiarity with building a long-term, sustained, volunteer movement
- One to two years of organizing experience preferred
This is a full time position and will require work in the evenings and weekends. Travel will be required throughout Oregon, but predominantly in specific county areas. This position offers a competitive salary depending on experience. In addition we offer a benefits package that includes health, dental, retirement, vacation and sabbatical.
Send resume and cover letter electronically to email@example.com with Engagement Organizer in the subject line.
OLCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women and people of color are encouraged.